Rafael Nadal will be out of action for six to eight weeks due to injury tennis news

File photo of Rafael Nadal© AFP

World No. 2 Rafael Nadal announced Thursday that he will be sidelined for six to eight weeks after suffering an injury in his second-round match at the Australian Open on Wednesday. Defending champion Rafael Nadal crashed out of the Australian Open on Wednesday, losing in straight sets to Mackenzie McDonald of the United States 6-4, 6-4, 7-5 in the second round. Nadal, the first Grand Slam number one seed of the year, suffered an injury and it changed the tone of his game. The 65th-ranked American produced his ‘worst Grand Slam result’ in seven years against Nadal.

The Spanish 36-year-old, who had been struggling with a hip injury, took time out. He continued after a short break but could not match his earlier pace.

Nadal had previously said he wasn’t sure if it was a problem with his hip muscles or a joint but it had been with him for “a few days”.

“Sometimes it’s frustrating, sometimes it’s hard to accept, sometimes you feel very tired about all these things when it comes to injuries,” said the 22-time Grand Slam winner.

“It’s a tough moment right now. It’s a tough day and you have to accept it and move on. You know, at the end of the day, I can’t complain about my life. (I) can’t just say I’m emotionally devastated at this point. No, because I’d lie. It’s hard for me. But let’s see, hopefully it’s not too bad.”

The Spaniard’s legendary career has often been haunted by physical frailty, with 2022 another rollercoaster year. After winning the Australian Open, she suffered a stress fracture in a rib in March before taking daily pain-killing injections in her left leg to win a 14th French Open title in June.

Then his bid for a third Wimbledon crown was derailed by an abdominal injury.

With AFP input

Topics covered in this article

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.