Kraal will get the decision, Tverberg tear it down, Grebyonkin’s alternative: Leaf’s Prospect Roundup
This previous week was one other tough time for the Leafs, and with Sheldon Keefe trying to find something that might assist propel his membership ahead, we noticed the start of one other Leafs prospect of the NHL.
In 2018 drafted within the fifth spherical, Phillip Krall was recalled to the Leafs and made his NHL debut towards the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday evening. He skated on a pair with veteran attendee Mark Giordano, seeing solely 12 minutes of ice time and ending with a +1 score. He was again in the identical spot on Sunday evening towards the Geese, however performed for simply over eight minutes in one other sport that slipped via the Leafs’ collective palms.
The primary two video games of his NHL profession had been promising highlights from Krall’s aspect. He confirmed a capability to retrieve the puck rapidly down his personal objective line to begin the breakout and skim correct in a well timed style – one thing that the Leafs’ defenders have struggled with to this point this season. However there have been additionally some cases the place Krall broke pucks or telegraphed passes that had been simply interrupted, resulting in turnover.
General, the younger Czech blueliner held his personal in his first style of NHL motion and confirmed potential on the again finish as a helpful puck-mover. Kral continues to be approach under the depth charts when everyone seems to be wholesome, however within the Czech Professional League in addition to within the AHL with the AHL, he has advanced right into a depth substitute for the Leafs on the NHL stage.
Tverberg earned their fair proportion of accolades in a breakout season for them in 2021-22. Drawn within the seventh spherical of the 2020 draft, his massive season with UConn helped set up him as a prospect with official NHL potential. His 14 objectives led the Huskies, and he was just one level behind the staff with 32 factors from 36 video games.
Seeking to play an much more distinguished position in his junior season, Tverberg has responded extensively within the early a part of the season. He scored a couple of objectives to go along with an help in Yukon’s solely sport final week and now has six objectives in his final 4 video games. For the season, he’s already half previous the season’s solely 9 matches to attain a complete of 14 objectives.
Tverberg now leads the Huskies in scoring and sits within the high 15 amongst all NCAA gamers to this point this season. Continued offensive development is an encouraging signal for a participant who already has a method of play that provides a comparatively protected ground. An brisk, hard-working ahead who competes on full ice, Tverberg does a whole lot of small issues effectively and has discovered a solution to generate extra offense as he develops.
Now in his junior season, Tverberg is a main candidate to show professional and signal an entry-level contract with the Leafs subsequent spring. No matter when he indicators, he might be a welcome addition to the system as a participant who can generate power and offense even in a lesser position.
Hildeby got here in season behind Matt Tomkins on the Fjordstadt’s goalscoring depth charts, however began in two of his first 5 video games of the SHL season because the membership noticed two of his goaltenders sharing the crease. Sadly for Hildeby, they each had a poor begin as he solely allowed a mixed eight objectives towards 51 photographs.
He returned to the nets for a couple of Champions League appearances and carried out effectively, however performed six SHL video games and not using a begin earlier than Tomkins was injured. Hildeby continued to play every of Farjstad’s subsequent three video games, together with two of the earlier week, on his solution to three straight wins by intercepting 92 photographs from 96, elevating his season numbers to 2.33 GAA and .918 SV. Introduced it to 3-2-0. ,
# leaves Probability Replace (1/11)
Dennis Hildeby began the sport for the primary time in a row, with Farjestad starter Matt Tomkins unavailable. After a brutal begin to the SHL marketing campaign, Hildeby has completed effectively on this event. Stopped 31/32 for a 4-1 win
Sum (SHL): 4gp, .915 SV% pic.twitter.com/tVHAcDQL81
— Kyle Cushman (@Kyle_Cush) 26 October 2022
Tomkins returned from damage and began on Saturday, dropping three objectives on 29 photographs within the shedding effort, maybe opening the door additional for Hildeby to say the lead within the starter’s workload. Hildeby has began simply 5 SHL video games this season, in comparison with Tomkins’ 10, however Hildeby now owns higher numbers in each SHL and Champions League play.
Already beneath contract with the Leafs, Hildeby was loaned again to Fargstad with a view to proceed his improvement and achieve sufficient play time – one thing that may not have been assured within the crowded Marlis crease. Now, it seems that he has not less than performed his approach into the common rotation, and could also be poised to affix the Marlies whereas persevering with his sturdy sport over the subsequent few months and his profession later this spring. North American may debut if all goes effectively.
It has already been an fascinating season for Grebyankin after being picked by the Leafs within the fifth spherical of final summer time’s draft. He began the yr on Magnitogorsk’s KHL roster, however his expertise and wealth of ahead depth made it tough for him to earn vital ice time. Grebyankin was on Magnitogorsk’s roster for 12 video games, however noticed motion in solely seven of these competitions, and he performed lower than three minutes in six of these video games.
With no place for Grebyankin of their KHL lineup, Magnitogorsk loaned him to Amur in early October in an effort to get him extra enjoying time. After recording one objective and two assists in 4 matches with Amur’s VHL membership, he was recalled to the KHL and performed a serious position in 4 matches together with his new staff.
After his debut, wherein he was taken off the scoresheet in solely quarter-hour of ice time, Grebyankin recorded his first two KHL assists, enjoying greater than 21 minutes in a 4–3 extra time loss. He’ll subsequent deal with the primary objective of his KHL profession and at present has three factors from his first 4 video games with Amur.
Grebyankin’s three factors are at present simply two shy of the top-scoring U20 participant within the KHL, but it surely’s value noting that each participant forward of him on the record has seen considerably extra motion at Russia’s high tier. Grebyankin had a distinct begin to the season, however he rapidly took benefit of his new alternative with Amur and continues to play a key position together with his new membership.
- Fraser Minton picked up the place he left off final week and continues his identify on the scoresheet for Kamloops. He lengthened a pair of assists in a 5–1 win over Spokane on Friday evening after which scored one objective and two assists the next evening, as soon as once more in an effort to win over the Chiefs. Minton has not less than one level in every sport to this point this season, with a complete of three objectives and 7 assists via 5 contests.
- Matt Neese scored his fifth objective of the season within the weekend break up towards the Ohio State Buckeyes. They now have seven factors from eight matches to begin the season.
- Ronnie Hirvonen scored his third objective of the season final week, however he has been in a little bit of a hunch these days, with only one level within the final seven video games.
- The Chicago Metal had only one sport final week, but it surely was an excellent 2022 third-rounder Nick Moldenhower. He scored one objective and two assists, giving him 10 objectives and 6 assists via 11 video games – sufficient to share the USHL scoring lead with teammate Jaden Peron.
- Ty Voight was held on Friday evening and not using a level for the primary time in the whole season, however responded with three assists towards Hamilton on Saturday to take care of his lead within the OHL scoring race. He has 24 factors from simply 12 matches.
- Semyon Der-Arguchintsev had an excellent week for the Marlis. He had two factors, together with his first objective of the season on Wednesday, and an help in every of the subsequent two video games, all of which had been Marlies’ victories. SDA have 5 factors from seven matches within the present season.
- Nick Abruzzi had only one level in three video games final week, however that is precisely what occurred to the OT winner for his second objective of the marketing campaign.
- Mikhail Abramov missed coaching camp and the beginning of the AHL season whereas recovering from an damage, however returned to the lineup final week and recorded a pair of assists in Friday’s extra time win towards Syracuse.
- Pleasure Anderson is barely clinging to a “doubtless” place, however she additionally had a robust week, scoring two objectives on Wednesday earlier than including two extra on Friday. This scored six objectives in three matches for Anderson.
- Veeti Miettinen hasn’t been capable of finding the online as typically as he’d like, however he has been productive, scoring his second objective of the season final week to provide them seven factors from eight video games.
- Braden Kreisler has been beneath hearth since his return from damage and had a career-high 4 factors in a giant win over Saginaw final week. He then went on to attain two extra objectives and now has six objectives and three assists via simply 4 video games.
- Axel Rindel has been dominated out because of damage, however he was assigned to Newfoundland of the ECHL final week on a conditioning stint. He scored two objectives and an help in two video games and needs to be rejoining the Marlies someday this week.
- Artur Akhtyamov began three video games final week, booked by 29 save shutouts final Tuesday and 29 save makes an attempt in a 2-1 OT defeat on Sunday. He now has .932 SV% in 14 video games with Neftyanik this season.
- Joe Miller has began his NCAA profession in a good place, proper on Harvard’s high row alongside Chicago Metal alumni Matt Coronato and Sean Farrell. He went and not using a rating in his debut however scored his first collegiate objective and added a pair of assists towards Princeton on Saturday.
(Statistics from EliteProspects.com)