Germany’s ‘crazy’ penalty shootout sparks Grambusch brothers to beat England in World Cup semi-finals Hockey News

Germany struck twice with two minutes left in the match to overturn a two-goal deficit and then beat England in a penalty shootout to enter the FIH Men’s World Cup semi-finals in Bhubaneswar on Wednesday. Germany pulled from the jaws of defeat in one leg of the quarter-finals after England led 2-0 on 58 minutes with goals from captain Mats Grambusch and his younger brother Tom a minute apart.

Germany, who finished second in Pool B and beat France 5-1 in the crossover match, will face title contenders Australia in the semi-finals on Friday.

A vociferous crowd at the Kalinga Stadium thought England would finish the match comfortably after Zachary Wallace (12th) and Liam Ansell (33rd) gave them a 2-0 lead.

But to their surprise, the Germans roared back to score through Mats and Tom Grambusch in the 58th and 59th minutes respectively.

Just before that, Christopher Ruhr wasted the opportunity in the penalty stroke in the 57th minute.

Trailing 1-2, Germany received a penalty stroke one minute into the match. Mats then asked his younger brother Tom to take it and he made no mistake to take the match to a penalty shootout.

Nicklas Wellen, Hannes Müller, Prinz Thies and Christopher Ruhr scored for Germany in the shootout. James Albury, Zachary Wallace, Phil Roper scored for England, and David Goodfield did not score.

“It was definitely a crazy match, we were behind most of the game. But we were able to convert the chances that came late in the match. It shows the character of the team,” Mats said.

“Our parents must be watching this match and they must be very happy that we both scored in such an important match for the team and the country,” said Tom.

The German fightback is reminiscent of their national football team, famous for its never-say-die attitude.

“It was a cruel game, you were 2-0 up with less than five minutes to go in the match and you lost the game,” England captain David Ames said.

England topped Pool D and advanced to the quarter-finals directly ahead of India.

They started as the more attacking side and went ahead in the 12th minute with a brilliant combination between Jack Waller, Stuart Rush and Zachary Wallace.

Waller cut into the striking circle from the right and Rushemere weaved around three German defenders before Wallace volleyed home like a tennis player.

Wallace scored another goal later in the German goal but his shot eluded a defender in the second quarter and was blocked by the goalkeeper.

Germany pressed forward in the second quarter with more players but England defended well with man-to-man marking. But a relentless German attack wasted the first penalty corner of the match.

The English did not give way to the Germans whenever they entered the striking circle. But Harry Martin found the space and time to get a shot in but the goalkeeper was again stumped as he parried Germany’s second penalty corner two minutes from half-time.

Trailing 0-1 at half-time, Germany let themselves down as Timur Arouz received a green card for a two-minute suspension in the 31st minute and England earned two penalty corners to take advantage and double their lead. the second one

Liam Ansell took a soft touch to the ball after putting the stopper in his path and then sent a powerful shot past German goalkeeper Alexander Stadler.

Germany were under heavy pressure in the third quarter as Christopher Ruhr was shown a yellow card in the 38th minute for a five-minute ban.

Just before the end of the third quarter, the game was stopped after England’s Liam Sanford fell to the turf and some of his teammates surrounded Ruhr but the umpires managed to calm the players down.

Germany were awarded a penalty stroke in the 57th minute but Christopher Ruhr’s shot hit the crossbar. But captain Mats Grambusch pulled one back a minute later on a field goal.

The match ended in dramatic fashion at 2-2 as just seconds later, Matt’s brother Tom scored from a penalty stroke.

Germany were awarded a penalty corner with 38 seconds remaining but England saved in a tense situation.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is generated automatically from a syndicated feed.)

Featured video of the day

Fight the federation, not the government: Wrestlers amid #Metoo protests

Topics covered in this article

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.